Congress is threatening to cut support for poverty-fighting foreign assistance, including for programs that:
- Feed more than 46 million of the world’s poorest people,
- Prevent more than 114,000 children from being born with HIV,
- Save 3 million lives through immunization programs, and
- Help poor people lift themselves out of poverty.
It’s up to us to speak up for those whose lives are changed – and saved – by this funding. Congress is about to finalize the budget for next year and years to come. Before they do, we need you to make a quick call to send them a clear message: don’t cut poverty-fighting foreign assistance.
Here's how to make your call:
- Call the Congressional switchboard at (202)-224-3121 and tell the operator your name and where you’re calling from. Ask to speak to your Representative – the operator will connect you.
- Tell the staffer: “I’m calling to oppose cuts to poverty-focused foreign aid in FY12 and beyond. Do not cut the deficit on the backs of the world’s poor. Many lives depend on these programs that give the world’s poorest people the tools they need to help lift themselves out of hunger and poverty. With high food prices and extreme weather events threatening millions around the world, now is not the time to cut life-saving assistance – which makes up less than 1% of the US budget. These strategic investments help make a safer world today and avert costlier interventions and humanitarian emergencies tomorrow.”
- When you’re done, you can call your Senators through the switchboard and ask for their support as well.
- Once you've ended your call, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know how it went!